Re: [squid-users] Connection breaks abnormaly while access some sites

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 01:31:11 +0200

ons 2006-04-05 klockan 11:12 +0800 skrev Bin Liu:

> There is no traffic through squid box at that time, and I can use
> fetch or wget tools download that web page completely just on the same
> machine at the same time, and all squid boxes with various config I
> have tested can not fetch that page any time in the day. So I don't
> think this is a firewall or overload issue, it must be the
> communication problem with squid and the server site.

for me wget has about the same success/failure rate as Squid in getting
speedy responses from the site. Quite often it just sits there with part
of the response received.. sometimes it unlocks itself after
considerable amount of time, but most of the time the origin server
aborts the connection after it has been stuck for a little while. And
sometimes it just works.

After playing a little more with the site I still think the problem is
wrongly tuned TCP retransmit timers at the origin server making it
behave extremely poorly when there is packet loss, or maybe a overloaded
firewall (at the origin) throwing away connections at random.. Could
also be a overloaded reverse proxy of some other brand behaving
extremely bad giving these symptoms.

Imho the best way to get it resolved is to get hold of the admins of
this reverse proxy cluster and have them fix it. Can't see any signs
here that the issue is Squid related as such.