Re: [squid-users] Questions on cache and memory

From: Mark Elsen <mark.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 09:24:20 +0200

> Hi,
> I am newbie to squid. Recently, we have installed squid with two cache dir of 25GB.
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1. Is there some sort of parameters to set for objects in the cache to expire so that they get overwritten by recent objects and also to ensure the disk will not be 100% full?

 - Squid takes care of this automatically; taking into account, the size
specified of the intended cache dir(s).

> 2.How I can purge the cache, automatically i.e when the cache reaches 80%, . Netscape Suitesopt has that features.

 - Leave this unattended, see previous reply on item 1)

> 3. How does and what does it means when I set my disk to LRU . Does it mean that both cache dirs will be actively used ?

 - Don't think this parameter is available in recent SQUID versions.

> 4. How to limit concurrent users?
>

> 5. Can we limit the usage of memory for SQUID?

 - Squid's mem usage is basically determined by the size of the
cache dir(s); see FAQ.
And setting of 'cache_mem' ; see desc. of this parameter in squid.conf.default.

M.