Re: [squid-users] Squid-cache clustering

From: Ben Drees <ben@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:53:26 -0700

I am curious about a related question:

In reverse proxy scenarios, what are the options for load balancing
cache misses among several origin server replicas?

1) Of course one could use a hardware load balancer in between squid and
the origin servers.

2) It is my understanding that if DNS returns more than one address for
a hostname, Squid can be configured to perform round-robin selection of
an origin server. Are there any caveats to be aware of when persistent
connections are used between squid and the origin servers?

3) It seems like the Redirector API could be used as a hook to do this
kind of load balancing also, offering a convenient place to code custom
health checks.

Are there any other options?

-Ben