[squid-users] Re: How big of a system do I need to run Squid?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:55:33 +0200

[discussion moved to squid-users where it belongs]

tor 2006-03-30 klockan 19:04 -0600 skrev Cristal Montanez:
> I was reading about this but the documentation "In
> late 1998, if you are buying a new machine for a
> cache, I would recommend the following configuration:
>
> 300 MHz Pentium II CPU
> 512 MB RAM
> Five 9 GB UW-SCSI disks ",
> and I would like to know if This conficuration is
> enough for squid 2.5 stable 9.

Yes, but you probably want a somewhat better system today, not to
mention that the above configuration is very hard to find today..

Note: Squid still is a single thread so using SMP or even hyperthreading
is of very limited use. Better to spend the money on more memory.