[squid-users] httpd_accel_uses_host_header doesn't use port?

From: Ben Drees <ben@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:28:24 -0700

I have been running Squid as a reverse proxy to an Apache origin server
on the same host. Squid and Apache use the same port number but
different addresses, as recommended (the public routable address for
Squid, 127.0.0.1 for Apache).

I would like to change this configuration (at least in development, if
not in production) so that both the reverse proxy and the origin server
use the public routable address, but different port numbers. I
understand that one of the pitfalls to consider is that proxied response
headers and response bodies will contain the origin server port number.
But since I control the origin server, I can make it base any port
numbers appearing in a response on the port number in the request
"Host:" header.

But I can't seem to get Squid to pass the original port number through.
Even with "httpd_accel_uses_host_header on" the origin server sees its
own port number in the requests.

Is the behavior I seek supported?

Here are some relevant settings:

http_port 0.0.0.0:8114
httpd_accel_host 0.0.0.0
httpd_accel_port 8101
httpd_accel_single_host on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

I'm using "0.0.0.0" to get "public routable address" and "localhost".

To be clear, I would like Squid to accept a request on port 8114 with a
"Host:" header like this:

Host: x.y.z:8114

Then, on cache miss, send the request to port 8101 on the same machine
with the same "Host:" header:

Host: x.y.z:8114

It does this except that it changes the "Host": header to this:

Host: x.y.z:8101

-Ben