Re: [squid-users] squid and blank/empty passwords?

From: Scott Ehrlich <scott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:34:49 -0400 (EDT)

> sön 2006-04-09 klockan 16:52 -0400 skrev Scott Ehrlich:
>
>> I successfully patched the source for squid 2.5, compiled, and installed
>> it. I happen to be using NCSA auth and am trying to get my CDMA phone to
>> proxy through my squid server.
>>
>> What is the best way to create a proxy account with no password?
>
> I used htpasswd in my tests.
>
>> I've tried htpasswd /etc/squid/squid_passwd my_cell_no
>> then Enter twice for the password.
>>
>> No luck authenticating, so I edit the squid_passwd file and remove the
>> encrypted blank password. Still no connection.
>
> Did you also install the patched ncsa_auth?
>
>> Am I creating the blank password wrong, or do I need to adjust my
>> squid.conf file?
>
> Yes, as indicated in my message with the patch there is a new auth_param
> basic parameter enabling the support of blank passwords. See
> squid.conf.default after installing the patched Squid.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

I have done all of the above (as far as I know) and still no luck.

Here is a brief screen capture of a recent config attempt per instructions
from the squid-cache web page:

./configure --enable-basic-auth-helpers=/usr/local/squid/libexec
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking for mawk... (cached) mawk
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
[snipped]
checking for object suffix... (cached) o
Store modules built: ufs
Removal policies built: lru
Hostname sanity checks enabled
Auth scheme modules built: basic
ERROR: Basic auth helper /usr/local/squid/libexec does not exists
debian:/home/scott/squid-2.5.STABLE13#

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Scott