Re: [squid-users] Squid settings and Option Question

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:11:41 -0800

Mark Elsen wrote:

>>My College has a T-1 line that is maxed out most of the time. They also
>>have some wireless lines connected to 1MB DSL lines and a new Cable
>>Line that is setup at 4.2MB. I have a Fedora Core 4 machine setup with the
>>Advnced Linux routing to connect the Cable and Wireless to the machine as
>>default routes with equal weighting. My test lab is set to use this machine as
>>the proxy, and I can see the load accessing both the wlan0 and the eth, so
>>that is working.

> - One, of the problems, I personally feel, is that the Redhat RPM builds
>come with all SQUID options enabled, during configure.
>This leads to a heavier exe and 'carried code' which isn't used.
>
>I always recomment to fetch the latest STABLE release and make a
>build (configure) with those configure options which you need and none other.
>
>This can also help in performance terms.
>
>M.

Be aware that epoll is not part of the STABLE squid sources. It's a
devel package that is only available by patching the sources, and
running a bootstrap script. Depending on the load of the cache, it
might not even help much. You might look into changing the cache_dir to
use aufs, but if cache hits are performing well, this also might not
make much of a difference. Given that cache hits are working well, but
cache misses are slow, I would look into the DNS server that Squid is
using, as well as network congestion on the path to internet.

Chris