Re: [squid-users] delay pool configuration and query - PL PL Respond

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:31:29 -0800

lokesh.khanna@accelonafrica.com wrote:

>Hi
>
>I posted my question earlier also but no one replied and I am not
>getting enough information on squid website also. So pl reply to me.
>
>Below is my question and configuration
>
>I am using class 3 delay pool and objective is to allocate 128kbps to
>each host which belongs to 10.60.0.0/16 subnet.
>Below is my configuration
>

>acl only128kusers src 10.60.0.0/255.255.0.0
>delay_pools 1
>delay_class 1 3
>delay_access 1 allow only128kusers
>delay_access 1 deny all
>delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 -1/-1 16000/16000
>
>Questions :
>
>1. I noticed users get 128kbps bandwidth when they do download. But I
>also noticed when I do normal browsing, peak some time goes high up to
>600 kbps or 700 kbps. I used Packet shaper to monitor end user bandwidth
>usage. So I want to know what is the policy, why I am seeing peak up to
>600 or 700 kbps??

Where are you doing this monitoring? Between the Internet and Squid or
between Squid and the clients. Cached traffic is not affected by delay
pools.

>2. I want to know if there is any command in squid to check how many
>users are falling in delay pool policy etc. this will help in doing any
>troubleshooting.

Either use the squidclient on the proxy to access the cache manager...

/path/to/squidclient cache_object://localhost/menu

...or set up a web server with the cachemgr.cgi and give it access to
your cache. Look for a menu object relating to delay pools. I don't
have a server set up with delay pools, so I can't be more specific.

>Thanks - LK

Chris