Re: [squid-users] Howto Clear Cache Periodicaly

From: Mark Elsen <mark.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:53:25 +0200

> Hello!
>
> I have a squid that has been caching for like 10 month. It now have an
> amazing size of 4.5 gig.

What you have is determined by the cache_dir specifications
in squid.conf. The size there is taken into account , and SQUID will
trimm cache dirs automatically if that would be needed.

> When browsing on the web, it is now very very
> slow. I restarted squid with a clean cache. Everything was fine again. I
> was wondering if there were a way to tell squid to clean cache
> periodicaly?! So I would not have to do it myself.

 - The idea of a caching proxy is to have a cache, and to benefit
from that, not clean it.
I run SQUID with the same cache dir and or squid maintained content
for more then year without touching it.
And or touching it alone, if serious SYSTEM or disk problems would occur.

Make sure that your disk access performance, for instance, is adequate
for the SQUID induced disk I/O load.

M.