[squid-users] Re: Clean cache

From: Neil A. Hillard <hillardn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:26:36 +0100

Hi,

        please keep discussion on the mailing list!

Guillaume Vachon wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Basicaly, The squid is working for a few school so there are a lot's a
> student. every day going to the internet. Like you said there is no
> point into deleting cache every day or whatever. But the Squid became
> very slow. No one could go to the internet. I took a look into the logs
> and it seemed the cache was too big (which is stupid i think...) I
> stoped squid deleted the cache then I restarted it. Everything was back
> to normal. Maybe it's not due to the size of the cache. But if not. I
> don't know what it is.... So I'm looking for a way to make him clear the
> cache once like a few month. If i drop down the size of the cache will
> he delete the old cache once he reached his max... Or if you have any
> idea or other question just ask!
>
> Thanks in advance for the help you will provide me!

It sounds like you need to size your squid appropriately. Ensure that
you understand what the directives in the configuration file actually do
before changing them, specifically cache_mem.

If you lower the cache_dir size and then tell squid to reconfigure
itself it will purge objects as necessary until the it is below the
maximum you specified.

You need to find out why your server runs slowly when it has a large
cache - is it memory bound, IO bound or what.

                                Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@whl.co.uk
Westland Helicopters Ltd.       http://www.whl.co.uk/