Re: [squid-users] Memory keeps on decreasing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:13:25 +0200

fre 2006-04-14 klockan 16:46 +0800 skrev Zabrina Mohamad:
> Hi,
> I'm having a server with cache_mem configured to 512MB, and 2 X 25GB
> of cache. The total memory is 2GB. This server is to cater for 500
> users later on.

Are you sure you want cache_mem that high? See the Squid FAQ on memory
usage.

> However, my concern now is, with only 20 users using the system, I can
> see that the memory utilisation has been increasing day by day.

Is it? According to your top output your system is using only 165MB of
memory..

> Mem: 2075032k total, 1280396k used, 794636k free, 272072k buffers
> Swap: 4096564k total, 0k used, 4096564k free, 842548k cached

===
1280396k - 272072k - 842548k == 165740k in use.

idle memory is a waste so your OS uses the idle memory as "buffer/cache"
to speed up things. Nothing to worry about.

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it is confidential and
> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
> addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person
> responsible for delivering the e-mail, be advised that you have
> received this e-mail and any files transmitted with it in error and
> that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
> e-mail and any files transmitted with it is strictly prohibited. If
> you have received this e-mail and any files transmitted with it in
> error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
> this message.

Rubbish. If the above is true you must not post in public message forums
as there is no control whatsoever of the distribution of posted
information.