Re: [squid-users] high response time in the case of high file descriptor usage

From: Steven Wilton <swilton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 08:15:42 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "K Pang" <time_breath@hotmail.com>
To: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 11:32 AM
Subject: [squid-users] high response time in the case of high file
descriptor usage

> HI all,
>
> we're running squid-2.5.S13 on Linux 2.4.32, and we setted file descriptor
> to be 8k. we found that when file descriptor usage exceeds 2k, the
> response time will go obviously higher. e.g. response time for hit is 3+
> seconds. my questions are:
> 1) is there any limitation on linux? should file descriptor usage above 2k
> cause such long response time?
> 2) how to optimize the response time when file descriptor usage is high?
>
> pls kindly advise, thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Pang

High filedescriptor usage usually means a lot of current clients, which
causes the poll/select loops to use a lot of CPU time. If squid is using
100% CPU while it is running slow, the epoll patch at
http://devel.squid-cache.org/ will help you. You will also need to upgrade
to a 2.6 kernel, or find an epoll patch for a 2.4 kernel in order to use
this patch.

regards

Steven