Re: [squid-users] hardware to load balance squid proxies?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:31:14 +0200

mån 2006-04-17 klockan 23:58 +1000 skrev Adrian:

> I'm looking for a hardware solution to load balance a cluster of
> squid proxies.. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience
> with this type of thing.

Mostly any load balancer you can find will do the job just fine.

> I'd like to be able to setup everyone to hit a device (preferably
> WCCP) and control which proxy (or proxy group) they connect
> to myself in the background without having to juggle A records
> or tier squid proxies.

Note: WCCP routers includes load balancing. No additional load balancer
required. But WCCP is only available for transparent interception
setups.

> Is that possible with a LocalDirector?

Yes, and likewise with pretty much any other load balancer you can find.

Personally I have very good experiences of LVS
<url:http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/>, a quite capable load balancer
engine. Just add hardware and you have a hardware load balancer ;-)