Re: [squid-users] squid 3.1 ntlm_smb_lm_auth --require-membership-of

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 11:57:04 +1200

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:37:55 +0200, "Bammer Sebastian"
<Sebastian.Bammer_at_wienerberger.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding squid 3.1.
> I'd like to authenticate my users based on their AD group membership.
> In the previous squid version this was possible with ntlm_auth
> --require-membership-of=DOMAIN\\Group
> From what I understand ntlm_smb_lm_auth is the successor to ntlm_auth?

No ntlm_smb_lm_auth is a simple rename of the binary previously bundled
with squid.
It does not now and never has performed NTLM auth, it only does SMB LM auth
via the NTLM challenge protocol. Thus the rename.

For full NTLM auth use the Samba bundled helper which is still named
ntlm_auth.

> And there is no such parameter for ntlm_smb_lm_auth
> Is there maybe another way to achieve my goal?

Perhapse this parameter is for the Samba helper previously. Its the
preferred binary to use for NTLM anyway.

Amos